ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Friday, January 04, 2008

Iowa - Something Profound Happened Last Night

We here in California are dealing with a storm of hurricane proportions. I am trying to write this between periodic power outages. I am not sure if that is contributing to my thoughts and mood, but I can not help but think something profound happened in Iowa last night.

The first thing that stands out for me is that two men who have actual personalities won. After years of plastic banana politicos, two people with some depth and more than a little reality about them have emerged into the political limelight. Huckabee and Obama share this positive characteristic.

I share none of Obama's political views. I have serious problems with many of Huckabee's views. But by golly, something is going on here.

This is not like some fluke win by a whacko that occasionally happens in Iowa. I have a feeling in my 60 year old gut that we are about to see some very real changes in both parties... for better or for worse. It as though Teddy Roosevelt and John Kennedy have emerged in both parties.

I could be just as wrong as can be, but I sense an earthquake in American politics.

I'll quit for now before the juice fails me again.

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC:MontereyJohn

Comments (1)
Desert Rat said...

What may be happening is the re-emergence of the two-party system. For years, Republicans and Democrats drifted closer to each other. Now, it seems that they are going back to their roots. It will be interesting to see how this develops.