ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fredmentum No More - Thompson is Out

Perhaps Thompson just heard that the writers' strike is about to end?

Fred Thompson Quits Presidential Race
Jan 22 03:31 PM US/Eastern
NAPLES, Fla. (AP) - Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson quit the Republican presidential race on Tuesday, after a string of poor finishes in early primary and caucus states.

"Today, I have withdrawn my candidacy for president of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort," Thompson said in a statement.
[...]
Of course, this throws a monkey-wrench in my preferences for the GOP nomination. Inspired by Thompson's 17 minute YouTube video, I endorsed Fred with the hope that his much maligned "laziness" was being replaced by a new energy in Iowa. Even put a little gas in the red pickup truck through the Blogburst for Fred. Of course, I don't think I've ever seen the red pickup truck and suspect that the campaign could've used more actual pickup trucks and less Gucci. That and more Hippie Punching.

Here was my ranking back on Dec 31st:
  1. Thompson
  2. Romney
  3. Giuliani
  4. McCain
  5. Huckabee
Hmmm.... I didn't even mention Ron Paul. If it weren't for his ridiculous thoughts on foreign policy and the impossibility of him ever being sworn into office, many of his positions are attractive. For all of the talk of Thompson being the Goldwater to some future Reagan, I think Ron Paul may play that role for someone in the future with similar policy prescriptions.

I don't think I need to change my ratings much, which means that I'm a Romney or Giuliani supporter now. However, I would say that McCain / Huckabee are ranked closer in my mind - tied for 3rd. I'd have difficulty supporting either of them as I'd be extremely concerned about how they might govern. I just have this image of McCain "maturing" in office in attempts to get good coverage from the New York Times. That and his ridiculous Global Warming pitch which might as well be from Algore. You may think I'm nuts, but a track record of media lust is not a good sign. As for Huckabee, he's likable and talks a good game, but every once in a while he says something that just doesn't sit well.

Also should throw this item in... Brian and I were discussing this eventuality over an adult beverage yesterday. Good points RE Mitt Romney - Jim Talent & Matt Blunt (link to his 'A' rating for fiscal discipline in Big MO). Either one of them could end up in the VP slot. Or perhaps even Fred himself?

HotAir has more.

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: St Wendeler

Comments (3)
MPH said...

I could bite the bullet and vote for Mitt, but I am holding out hope for a Giuliani/Thompson ticket. While he had arguably the best platform and ideas, Thompson just didn't have the outward drive and dynamism that Rudy can bring to the top of the ticket...

But can't you see Thompson embarrassing the hell out VP candidate John Edwards in the summer debates?

Giuliani is hardly out of it (assuming he wins in Florida) and I believe a Giuliani/Thompson ticket has the best shot at winning in November.

This country needs serious tax and spending cuts -- and it needs them now.

And is there anyone who doubts Rudy would be a great diplomatic leader and a excellent Commander of Chief of the US Military?

Monterey John said...

I pretty much agree with MPH's comment.

While Romney brings huge business assets to the race, these are dangerous times. I'm not sure management ability is at the top of my list of priorities. I want someone who is going to deal with the world in which we live.

To my way of thinking, that is still Rudy.

St Wendeler said...

I could support Rudy, assuming he has a strong VP candidate at his side. And I agree that reduced spending, reduced taxes, and reduced regulation are the cure for what ails our economy.

I think Rudy or Mitt could deliver on those. I know that McCain & Huck probably would not, FairTax rhetoric aside. McCain's idiotic pandering to the global warming fear-mongering would be disastrous for our country - and the world.