ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Tag

Ok, Saint Know It All tagged me yesterday (in this comment). Since he's the other Saint in the blogosphere, I suppose I should comply, so here are my responses:

1. Wrapping or gift bags?
It depends. Typically wrapping, but some things just have to be bagged.

2. Real or artificial tree?
Every year our extended family makes a trek to the Pea Ridge tree farm to cut down some live trees. We've been going there since I was an infant and I fondly remember the hot chocolate in the barn on a snowy winter's day. (And Don't let anyone tell you that tree hunting isn't a sport; those trees can be tricky to catch! Just ask this family!). This year, the weather was so bad at the tree farm that we had to settle for one of the pre-cut trees that they had. :-(

3. When do you put up the tree?
Have an argument every year in our household on when to get the tree - Thanksgiving weekend or the first weekend in December. I prefer the latter; since my Mom's birthday is in early December, Christmas decorations didn't normally go up until after her birthday when I was growing up. This year, we didn't cut and put up the tree until the weekend AFTER Thanksgiving weekend - but it was still November!

4. When do you take the tree down?
Depends on how the tree is doing; typically just before New Year's Eve.

5. Do you like eggnog?
When I do buy eggnog, I have a glass or two and then it just sits there. A touch of whiskey doesn't hurt, either.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
Hmmm... I've repressed so many childhood memories. One year my brother (Brian) and I got Star Wars blasters and had a good time; here are some modern versions. Perhaps my fondest memory was when Santa brought us a puppy. He was delivered in a box (with holes) and I kept saying "that present is moving!!" (However, it's tough to tell whether I actually remember this or just remember my brother and parents telling me about it.)

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes, a large one with figurines that my son likes to play with; he likes to fly the angel around.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Ummm, I don't know. There have been plenty of socks, underwear, handkerchiefs, etc over the years.

9. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
Mail... I'm in charge of getting the picture that we can put on the card; Wife actually writes the cards and sends 'em out.

10. Favorite Christmas movie?
Probably Blazing Saddles, Blade Runner, or Apocalypse Now. Those aren't Christmas movies? Oh... Um, does the Life of Brian count? Ok, fine - The easy choice is It's a Wonderful Life, so I suppose I'll pick A Christmas Story. It was funny when I first saw it and is still entertaining.

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
I do clicks & mortar shopping. Online up until a week out from Christmas and then finish up in the hustle & bustle of Christmas Eve.

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Christmas cookies... My mom continues to make the best chocolate chip cookies (with or without nuts), along with a variety of others. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my waistline), my wife's chocolate chip cookies are simply unbelievable.

13. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Clear on the tree; multi-color on the house.

14. Favorite Christmas song?
Probably The Christmas Song. Not sure "song" is the correct classification, but Handel's Messiah (and especially the Hallelujah chorus) is also my favorite.

Now, to share the love, I tag:

Here are the rules:
  1. Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
    2. Share Christmas facts about yourself.
  2. Tag random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
  3. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: St Wendeler

Comments (1)
Brian said...

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
Hmmm... I've repressed so many childhood memories. One year my brother (Brian) and I got Star Wars blasters and had a good time; here are some modern versions. Perhaps my fondest memory was when Santa brought us a puppy. He was delivered in a box (with holes) and I kept saying "that present is moving!!" (However, it's tough to tell whether I actually remember this or just remember my brother and parents telling me about it.)


Well lets see, I was there.. you would have been 3 or 4 at the most? Was it the star wars christmas? I was 6 or 7? You couldnt' look over the (open) box lid, but I could.

I remember those blasters fondly as well.. :-)

Probably my most 'remembered' christmas present was the star wars watch that I got on christmas eve in 1977. It was a cheap timex digital (but hey, it was 1977!, I'm sure it cost a fortune!). You pressed a button and the little red led would tell you the time. I spent all christmas eve on the top bunk of my bunk bed (the Saint was on the bottom sleeping soundly) pressing the button every minute, waiting for christmas to arrive.