ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Monday, December 31, 2007

Saint Wendeler's Presidential Pick - Fred Thompson

Fred Thompson has this excellent video on YouTube which makes the case for his candidacy for President. It's 17 minutes, but worth the time; it will be interesting to see if this has any impact on Iowa voters.



I'm mixed between supporting Romney and Thompson. In the end, Thompson is closer to my views and my only concern is his ability and drive to close the deal should he win the nomination.

But, after a slow start, I think he makes an excellent case and he has my support. No doubt the Thompson campaign has been eagerly awaiting this endorsement...

;-)

Key reasons are:

  • His tax reform proposal is excellent (better than the Fair Tax proposal of Huckabee)
  • He understands the strategic implications of the War On Terror
  • Correct philosophy regarding judiciary
  • Doesn'nt have the troublesome economic populism of Huckabee
  • Has the correct view of our problems with the education system, etc, etc.
Romney is the best alternative to Thompson in my opinion, primarily due to his policy positions, management experience, background in business.

Overall, I rank the candidates in the following way:
  1. Thompson
  2. Romney
  3. Giuliani
  4. McCain
  5. Huckabee

I also think that Thompson could be a distinct choice when positioned against Clinton or Obama.

I'll provide my prediction for the caucuses and primaries in a subsequent post, along with all of my 2008 predictions.

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: St Wendeler