ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Sunday, May 20, 2007

McCain - Toast (McCain-Kennedy)

Well, regardless of whether McCain-Kennedy Illegal Immigration bill passes the House & Senate, this is the end of the McCain campaign. Because this picture will be used in every primary campaign.



As regular readers of ARC know, I am doggedly pro-immigration - which sometimes is not a popular position and I receive significant grief from Mark Krikorian of the Center for Immigration Studies. However, it should be noted that I'm pro-LEGAL immigration and, while I do support some sort of guest worker program, before any such policy were to be enacted, the border would have to be secure (both North & South) and a significant improvement in the capabilities of the INS to process applications. I also am for making English the official language of the US and eliminating the multi-cultural, anti-assimilation policies which are so fashionable currently. However, I don't subscribe to the nativist tendencies that immigration should be halted or restricted.

With regard to the 2008 campaign, the sponsorship of this bill kills McCain's chances. Rudy is toast as well, due to his pro-gun control and pro-choice positions. That leaves Romney (my personal favorite for now), Thompson (would throw my support his way if/when he enters), an unlikely Gingrich, and perhaps Huckabee.

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: St Wendeler