ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Little Russ to the Stand

As Russert heads to the witness stand, there was the following comment on JustOneMinute:

Time to lay down your bets on what Russert knew and when did he know it.
Well no time like the present.

I've been thinking about this and waffling in my own mind. There is a lot for Russert to lose here as well (although in the MSM media world as they know it, maybe not).

If, as TM theorizes, Russert's public "denials"---I didn't know her name, I didn't know she was an operative---is really just so much crap, isn't he going to look bad? I mean, in that case he let this man waiver under indictment for over a year, lose his prominent DC job, etc. He couldn't pick up the phone and call Fitz and say something to the effect of, "you know, we had that 20 minute interview in my lawyer's office, and you didn't ask this, this and this, which might be relevant"?

Or he didn't pick up the phone and call Wells, and tell them, "look I'll sign an affidavit that I did know from Mitchell and Gregory, some of the details"? That would give Fitz the chance to dismiss the charges before the trial.

If so, who would even talk to the man, much less go on his show? Why would the public watch the show ever again? MTP has been the "top dog" of the Sunday shows for a while that I remember, why throw that away by stonewalling on that stupid parsed denial.

If on the other hand, what Russert has said in his denial is true, unequivocally, doesn't he look like an idiot for not knowing when all the other reporters seem to as well? Is he just a stuffed shirt to get the questions read to him through his ear on TV?

My guess is that Russerts testimony is going to be a bunch of "to the best of my recollection" kind of stuff. He didn't know her name or operative status until Novak, but its possible they discussed Wilson and who sent him. It's even possible that he told Libby something that could be misconstrued, but he doesnt' remember exactly.

Of anybody in the media, I think Russert was the one hoping the most that this whole trial would just go away. I expect his testimony to hedge in any way possible.


Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: Brian