ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Friday, March 24, 2006

So, I'm in Canada...


... and watching the weather report while I'm waiting for my flight back to the US. I'm in Quebec and I think the dual languages on the signs are appropriate. However, I think there should be a rule that the names of places do not require translation. For example, Montreal is shown twice on the TV when discussing the weather, like this:

Montréal / Montreal

I'm sorry, but I think any English speaker would recognize Montréal... But if they think their citizens are so sensitive and dense that they can't understand that spelling, that's their call. Fine.

BUT, I have to say that they should refrain from doing the same with cities outside of Canada. For example, they spelled "New Orleans" as "Nouvelles Orleans" as well. They also spelled "Francfort / Frankfort," nevermind that the latter spelling is incorrect in English (and German), as well. On and on it goes here in Quebec.

Oh, and it is no wonder that the Canadians have the attitudes about Americans that they do. While eating dinner last night, three loud Americans played to type. They were loud and obnoxious, denigrating everything from Canadian currency to hockey. If you're proud to be an American, the best way to demonstrate your pride is to keep it to yourself. The "big man on campus" doesn't have to tear down the little guy - because everyone knows the score.

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: St Wendeler