ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Roberts Confirmation Hearings

I have my lawyer hat on today, and it has been an interesting morning.

The first thing that struck me was that Teddy was not lit up like a Christmas tree. His usually florid complexion revealed a period of abstinence and resulting normal skin coloration to which most of us are not accustomed. He even made sense once allowance is made for his liberal orthodoxy. The exchange with Roberts was intense but civil and fairly well reasoned. A pleasant surprise. (We'll see how Teddy does AFTER lunch.)

Biden? Well, Biden was Biden. He comes over as friendly and reasonable and then slips in the knife. It's vintage Biden, Uriah Heep with hairplugs. For those of us who have watched him over the years his total lack of sincerity is no surprise. He is the sort of man who would be detested as an executive officer by the commanding officer. You just can not trust anything about him, neither his words nor his demeanor. (Can't help but wonder who he will plagiarize next.)

Lahey? I'm not sure what to say about Lahey. He is nothing if not consistent... consistently nasty.

The Republicans are BLAND. Arlen (Single Bullit) Specter is just hopeless as a leader. I can not believe he was ever a prosecutor. Were I on one of his juries I'm reasonably certain I would have slept through the trial.

Grassley, only slightly less tedious than Specter.

I find myself wishing Fred Thompson was sitting with the Senators rather than behind Roberts.

It is a worthy exercise to watch these proceedings.

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: MontereyJohn