ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Friday, August 12, 2005

NARAL Update

Well, NARAL NARAL has pulled its ad buy, not because it was full of horsehockey, but because those of us who viewed it were too dumb to understand the nuance of NARAL's argument:

Aug 11, 11:36 PM EDT
Abortion Rights Group Withdraws Roberts Ad
By JESSE J. HOLLAND
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- After a week of protests by conservatives, an abortion rights group said Thursday night it is withdrawing a television advertisement linking Supreme Court nominee John Roberts to violent anti-abortion activists.

"We regret that many people have misconstrued our recent advertisement about Mr. Roberts' record," said Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America.

"Unfortunately, the debate over that advertisement has become a distraction from the serious discussion we hoped to have with the American public," she said in a letter Thursday to Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who had urged the group to withdraw the ad.

Specter, himself an abortion-rights supporter as well as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee that will question Roberts next month, earlier Thursday had called the ad "blatantly untrue and unfair."

Hmmm, the text in bold is reminiscent of an apology from an Illinois Senator that I just love! As the [sarcasm]right-wing[/sarcasm] EJ Dionne points out, people who watched the ad understood EXACTLY what NARAL was saying about Roberts. Not sure how the following transcript from the ad can be any clearer:
Here's what the ad says: "Seven years ago, a bomb destroyed a women's health clinic in Birmingham, Alabama." The ad then quotes Emily Lyons, whose clinic was bombed in January 1998: "When a bomb ripped through my clinic, I almost lost my life. I will never be the same." The announcer returns: "Supreme Court nominee John Roberts filed court briefs supporting violent fringe groups and a convicted clinic bomber." Text on screen: "Roberts filed court brief supporting clinic protestors." Lyons again: "I'm determined to stop this violence so I'm speaking out." The announcer: "Call your senators. Tell them to oppose John Roberts. America can't afford a justice whose ideology leads him to excuse violence against other Americans."

Of course, EJ goes on to make some really idiotic points, but nonetheless.

Anyway, I thought I'd just do a little happy dance.



And toss back a few with my conspirators


Any time group as shrill as NARAL has to admit that they're full of it is a good day in my opinion.

However, some folks on the Left really are stunned that NARAL pulled the ad. Of course, some folks on the Left don't believe in anything such as an objective truth. I mean, they probably think that any words that squeak past the brat lodged in Michael Moore's mouth is gospel. Read this post and tell me if this is someone who recognizes that they're rabid, but just can't do anything about it:
Update: NARAL ad
NARAL has decided to pull the ad after all, on the grounds that the fuss over it is a distraction from the real issue. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, the fuss over it is a distraction from the real issue--I am almost reluctant to blog this, having said that I did not intend to talk about the ad any more, but I figured that having blogged both the ad and their response to "fact"check's response, I should. On the other hand, whatever the merits or flaws of the ad may have been--and I believe that, while factual in a strict sense, it was somewhat misleading, although I also believe that misleading ads are the name of the game in politics, so I find it frankly hypocritical for the right to be bitching about it, and rather disappointing that political sites on the left are so uninterested in defending it--I seriously wonder if any ad that NARAL runs isn't going to be a flashpoint for controversy.

They have another one in the works, so I suppose we'll find out.

Unfortunately, when your lead ad doesn't even make the airways because it's filled with lies and smears, it's unlikely that your second one will be believed. (Although, I did watch Jaywalking on Leno last night and that might be the crowd that NARAL is targeting...)

To see what passes for enlightened discussion on the left, check out the comments for this post - they apparently are not a fan of the Saint from Wendelin.

And if the logo image for this blog doesn't just perfectly embody today's Left, I don't know what does - A little kid that doesn't know dookie about anything, but is having a temper tantrum about everything and is flipping off the 70% of people that don't agree with her.

;-)

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: St Wendeler