ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Monday, June 27, 2005

Greatest American

H/T to Oliver Willis (who apparently doesn't like any comments that might be based on facts - more on this later).

The Gipper was voted Greatest American in the Discovery Channel's contest.



Order of the finalists were:

  1. Ronald Reagan
  2. Abraham Lincoln
  3. Martin Luther King, Jr.
  4. George Washington
  5. Ben Franklin

I have to say that I voted and had difficult choosing between them all, since they all were great Americans. While Reagan certainly was a great American, I'm not sure I would apply the adjective "greatest" when compared to Washington, Lincoln, etc. (Reagan's greatness in comparison to his predecessor (Carter) is unquestioned, but Washington?)

I think the placement of Washington as 4th is emblematic of our predisposition to think that recent figures are more important than historical ones. But, without Washington's selfless leadership and Franklin's womanizing ummmm, lobbying in Paris, there'd never be a United States of America. These two had the foresight to understand that their actions would have repercussions throughout history. Surely Reagan did as well, but without Washington, Franklin, or Lincoln, there wouldn't be a Reagan.

Just my thoughts... I'm agnostic on the final decision. But I do enjoy the fact that it's got the Libs ticked off. I also LOVE that the top two "greatest" Americans were Republicans.

:-D

***ARC: Brian Adds***
I heard about this morning on the Today show... Katie had to express how she was suprised that it was such a partisan decision. I'm sure if ol' Bill had won she'd have felt the same way.

I'm with you, that Ronnie probably doesn't compare to Lincoln, or Washington. I never ranked Franklin that high to be honest.

If you just look at the "top 5" though, I think thats pretty close....
****

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: St Wendeler