ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Dickie's "apology"

H/T LGF

Ok, I put a counter up at the top for the Durb and sure as @#% he goes out and apologizes... Fortunately for my counter code, it was a non-apology apology. Here's video (good for a laugh b/c of the blubbering)

Sen. Durbin Apologizes for Gitmo Remarks
By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer Tue Jun 21, 6:06 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Under fire from Republicans and some fellow Democrats, Sen. Dick Durbin apologized Tuesday for comparing American interrogators at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp to Nazis and other historically infamous figures.

"Some may believe that my remarks crossed the line," the Illinois Democrat said. "To them I extend my heartfelt apologies."

His voice quaking and tears welling in his eyes, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate also apologized to any soldiers who felt insulted by his remarks.

"They're the best. I never, ever intended any disrespect for them," he said.

The apology came a week after Durbin, the Senate minority whip, quoted from an FBI agent's report describing detainees at the Naval base in a U.S.-controlled portion of Cuba as being chained to the floor without food or water in extreme temperatures.

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags or some mad regime — Pol Pot or others — that had no concern for human beings," the senator said June 14.


Here's the full transcript from the PoliticalTeen... note the Lincoln quote:

Some may believe my remarks crossed the line. To them I extend my heartfelt apologies. There’s usually a quote by Abraham Lincoln that you can turn to in moments like this. Maybe this is the right one. Lincoln said “If the end brings me out right what is set against me won’t amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong ten thousand angels swarming at his right won’t make any difference.” In the end I don’t want anything in my public career to detract from my love of this country, my respect for those who serve it, and this great Senate. I offer my apologies for those who were offended by my words, I promise you that I will continue to speak out on the issues I think are important to the people of Illinois and to the Nation. Mr.
President I yield to the floor.

1 - "Some may believe that my remarks crossed the line"... Ummm, Dickie... You need to recognize and admit that your remarks... no, YOU... crossed the line. This is akin to Lott saying that he "has a bunch of black friends" after he disgraced himself at Strom's birthday party... Fortunately, the GOP has more cojones than the Dems and they called for Lott to step down from his leadership position. The Dems? Well, most of them agree with Durb, so they don't see what the big whup is.

2 - I assume that by using that phrase, Dickie's saying "To those whackos who keep pestering me over something so inconsequential as a Senator aiding the enemy..."

3 - What's with the blubbering? Come On, man!! stiff upper lip and all that!

4 - There's one thing that still has to be rememdied Mr. Senator... you HAVE TO STRIKE THAT PARAGRAPH FROM THE HISTORICAL RECORD. Lies such as that should not be passed down to future generations.

So, I'm keeping the counter up... tttthhhhppppptttt

Thank you and GOOD NIGHT!!!

***UPDATE***
Michelle Malkin has a roundup

***UPDATE***
This is one of the reasons that people hate politicians... this non-apology apology stuff. it depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is... pulling the Lincoln quote out of his rear. Dick - don't worry, you're wrong on this one... There's no conceivable way that Gitmo = gulag/konzentrationlagern/pol pot's demented killing fields. That you think you will be vindicated and proved correct shows how much of a nutter you really are.

Well, unfortunately, I have a feeling the Durb won't be offering any more apologies. This won't be like Lott, where we got an apology a day - since the MSM just wouldn't cover his original remarks in a substantial way, nor the calls for his apology. So, fine... thanks for the "apology," dickie.

But, please retract your statements from the record... you twerp. I hope Frist keeps the focus on that as well.

And let me concluded by being the first to say, to any Senator from Illinois who is offended by being called a twerp and having their patriotism and their intelligence questioned due to idiotic statements that they make on the Senate floor, bite me. I meant all of the disrespect that you felt.

See, Dickie!! Isn't that a great apology!

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: St Wendeler