ARC's 1st Law: As a "progressive" online discussion grows longer, the probability of a nefarious reference to Karl Rove approaches one

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

MSFT

Evan Coyne Maloney at BrainTerminal writes on his hatred for Microsoft. I have to say I agree... and I'm a MSFT user, but only by default.

The strange thing is, Microsoft has the technology to allow its videos to play on a Mac; my Mac has a program on it called "Windows Media Player" by a company named Microsoft. And I know it may sound shocking, but I've even managed to play Windows Media videos with it!

MSNBC.com shouldn't require visitors to use Microsoft's player at all, much less require that they also run the Windows operating system. They have every right to do so, of course, but it's strikes me as short-sighted from a business standpoint. The incompatibility certainly can't be a technological hurdle. After all, if a two-bit punk like me can figure out how to set up a website that serves QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media files to Macs and PCs, Windows and Linux alike, surely the mighty Microsoft can get it done. So why doesn't it? That's a good question...
The way that MSFT designs everything (and I mean e v e r y t h i n g) is so that if the world (and your IT infrastructure) was totally microsoft, it'd run perfectly (except for all those security holes, but I digress). When I buy a gas guzzling SUV from Dodge... do I HAVE to buy Dodge gas? do I have to get the Mopar add-ons? Or can I trick it out with some 3rd party stuff? What about parts when it breaks... do I have to go to a Dodge certified guy and use Dodge certified parts? or can the local guy with the generic parts do the trick?

I think people are finally getting ticked at this strategy of MSFT's... Of course, Apple isn't exactly squeaky clean in this regard either...

Your Co-Conspirator,
ARC: St Wendeler